Tuesday 14 October 2014

My other life

A large part of who I am is missing from this blog.  That is my job as a Zumba instructor.  It has become a key part of who I am and how I live my life, so I feel compelled to write something about it here.  Yesterday was a good exemplar of it's impact.  I had some admin to do, emails, changing website etc, and got on with it in the morning whilst the kids happily played. I have always seen my work as implicit to our lives, and the kids just see it as part of life.  Yesterday was unusual, as I rarely spend a morning doing admin work, most of my Zumba work involves dancing or listening to music, or both.  The kids see me loving my work, and letting it just be a part of my life, and not really stopping me do other things, or being with them (well not too much anyway).  Having a working life outside of the kids is by no means essential to who I am, but it certainly has become a part of my life I would hate to give up.  I am in the lucky position that my job works in such a way that I can pick and choose how much, when and where I work, meaning that I can work it so my husband is (nearly) always home when I go out to work.  I do have to take advantage of some wonderful friends when that doesn't quite work as as expected though.

I found Zumba when my daughter was about 1 and we had a short term gym membership.  After a few sessions, I completely fell in love with the buzz and sense of joy it gave me every single moment of every single class.  Having danced (a bit) as a child, having taught a variety of things, and having run successful businesses,  I saw it as a perfect fit to become a zumba instructor myself.  I spent a few months building up my confidence and plucking up the courage to book myself in to the training course, but I did, and just over 1 month after the course, less than a year after taking my first class, I was in front of over 30 people running my own class.


No comments:

Post a Comment