Saturday 10 May 2014

University Science Day

This Wednesday, Evan had the opportunity to visit the Chemistry department at the University for some experimenting in the School's lab and an Electricity lecture.  During the evaluation he said he had an amazing time and he thought all of it was brilliant.  I was surprised at this, as the afternoon was a lecture on Electricity, which, whilst interesting and interactive, Evan appeared to pay no attention to as he was obsessed with making his newly made slime, touch the floor.  However, my husband mentioned to me last night, that Evan gave his own lecture on Electricity to him with all the elements that were discussed using all the terms correctly and giving examples.  He seemed capable of not showing any outward signs of engagement in a topic, whilst actually taking it all in and understanding the concepts clearly.  He is a keen scientist, so the subject matter helped,  but the level at which his mind is working on these ideas seems beyond what I am capable of fully understanding.  Today, I have been reflecting on my role with this.  Everything we come across to do with Science he seems to understand instantly.  Do I, therefore, provide him with as many opportunities as possible to take on board new science things, or continue allowing him to pick things up when the moment or situation arises that it feel pertinent?  I am not really sure.  My instinct tells me that he will find his way to all the learning he wishes in time, but what stops me is the fact that a lot of the learning that he could do with science may require external skills that he has yet to require, therefore needing me to be more proactive in my approach.

I toyed with the idea of postponing the density exploration until science club next month, but decided instead to do it today.  He said to me on the Science day that he has been inspired by the day and want to do more Science work in the future.  He is most keenly attuned to the fact building rather than experimenting at the moment.

Thank you to all involved in the Science day, it really has given us a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment